Nearly three decades ago, one of the most comprehensive studies into the cause and effect relationship of motorcycle accidents was published. While this study might be old, the research findings still ring true today and provide insight into preventing deadly Arizona motorcycle accidents.
The Hurt study was published in 1981, after researcher Harry Hurt of the University of Southern California received funding from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). The team of researchers thoroughly investigated just about every aspect of 900 motorcycle accidents.
Here are the findings:
- Roadway defects only accounted for about 2 percent of the accidents
- In two-thirds of motorcycle accidents involving multiple vehicles, the vehicle driver violated the motorcyclist’s right-of-way
- The failure of motorists to see and recognize motorcycles in traffic was the leading cause of motorcycle crashes
- The most frequent accident configuration involved an automobile turning left in front of an oncoming motorcycle
- Intersections were the common sites of motorcycle accidents
- The median pre-accident speed was 29.8 mph and median crash speed was 21.5 mph
- Distracted driving was a common factor for the motorcyclist in an accident (driver inattention was a problem even in the 1980’s!)
- Alcohol was a contributing factor in about half of the fatal motorcycle accidents
Some of the key lessons that can be taken away from this study include the fact that both motorists and motorcyclists need to be aware of their surroundings. They need to look out for other vehicles and stay focused on the driving task at hand. When entering an intersection, extra precaution should be taken.
If you have been severely injured in a motorcycle accident in Maricopa County, including cities in the west and east valleys, you need to contact an experienced Phoenix motorcycle accident attorney at our accident injury law firm.
For more information, contact us by calling (480) 999-0646 or filling out our online form.
Be sure to order your free copy of the AZ accident injury attorney’s book, 9 Huge Mistakes That Can CRUSH your Arizona Accident Case.