Distracted Drivers Cause Accidents Throughout the Valley
You may have been driving on Loop 202 and the driver in front of you appeared to have reached down to pick up a cell phone. As a result, the driver drifted into the next lane. Maybe you were stopped at a red light on Ray Road and noticed that the driver next to you was busy texting, even when the light turned green. While you may not have witnessed these exact situations, you have probably experienced something similar.
Cell phones have been the topic of many safety debates. These devices, while they may be convenient, can lead to major driver distractions. In Arizona, you are allowed to use your cell phone while driving. In fact, you are even allowed to text and drive! However, these activities can lead to serious car accidents.
There has been a lot of research into the dangers of distracted driving. The following is a list of statistics and findings compiled by Distraction.gov, the official U.S. government website for distracted driving:
- It has been estimated that using a cell phone while driving reduces the amount of brain activity associated with driving by 37 percent.
- Almost 6,000 people were killed in 2008 in accidents involving a distracted driver. More than half a million were injured in distraction-related crashes that same year.
- Drivers under the age of 20 are involved in more fatal distraction-related accidents than the other age groups.
- When drivers use a cell phone while driving it delays their reactions as much as having a blood alcohol concentration of .08 percent.
- Drivers who use hand-held cell phones are four times as likely to get into crashes that lead to injuries.
Distracted driving will no doubt continue to be the center of a lot of debate. If you have been injured in a car accident in Mesa, Chandler, Phoenix, Glendale or other area in the Valley, contact the Law Offices of Nathan Hogle. Nathan is an experienced Mesa accident attorney who represents cases throughout Maricopa County, from the East Valley to the West Valley.
Call us today at 480-999-0646 or fill out our online form