Dog Bites in Arizona – More Common Than You Think!
Dog bite claims make up their fair share of serious personal injury cases – more than you may think! Here are some statistics:
- The insurance industry pays more than $1 billion in dog-bite claims each year. State Farm Insurance Company paid more than $109 million on about 3,800 dog bite claims nationwide in 2011. In 2010, State Farm had approximately 3,500 claims and $90 million in payouts.
- The Insurance Information Institute estimated that nearly $479 million in dog bite claims were paid by all insurance companies in 2011, and in 2010, it was $413 million.
- The CDC says that approximately 4.7 million people are bitten by dogs each year. Over half of the victims are children. Most of these bites are not serious. But approximately 800,000 people seek medical attention for the bites each year. Sixteen people a year die from dog bites. It has to be said: most of these are from pit bulls. Still, at least 25 different breeds of dogs have been involved in the last 238 dog-bite-related fatalities in the U.S.
- Approximately 92% of fatal dog attacks involved male dogs, 94% of which were not neutered.
- The median (not average) dog bite verdict in Maryland over the last 23 years is $24,600.
- At particular risk for dog, bits are (1)children ages 5 to 9 years old, (2) seniors, and (3) postmen. Children are the biggest risk. Kids are 900 times more likely to be attacked than a letter carrier.
- State Farm’s average cost per dog bite nationally in 2011 was $28,799.
- Approximately one-fourth of dog bite claims involve unrestrained dogs off of their owners’ property.
When an accident happens to you, it can be a life-changing event. It is important to seek the representation of a qualified, competent attorney to protect your rights and help to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. At Hogle Injury Law, we will do just that!
Category: Dog Bites
Labels: Arizona dog bite child safety dog attack dog bite injuries Mesa dog bite attorney Phoenix dog bite injuries Pit bull attacks Pit bull injuries
Our Arizona Dog Bite Lawyers are located in Mesa, Arizona, and handles cases throughout Maricopa County, including Gilbert, Chandler, Phoenix, Queen Creek, Tempe, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Cave Creek, Fountain Hills, Ahwatukee, Apache Junction, Anthem, Glendale, El Mirage, Tolleson, Goodyear, Avondale, Litchfield Park, Peoria, Surprise, Sun City, and Buckeye.