Worldwide, pedestrians account for about two-thirds of the 1.2 million people killed in auto accidents. Most modern automobiles are replete with a wide variety of safety features: seat belts, crumble zones, airbags, and more. Unfortunately, pedestrians have no such safety features. There is nothing that can protect them from sustaining the full brunt of the force of the car accident.
Some of the most important statistics concerning pedestrian-automobile accidents include:
· According to records kept by the National Highway Traffic Association, there were 180,000 pedestrian deaths in the United States between the years of 1975 and 2005.
· According to the same records, an average of about 5,000 people die in this country every year because of such accidents.
· Approximately 11% of automobile fatalities are pedestrians.
· Every eight minutes, a pedestrian is injured in an automobile accident. About once every two hours, a pedestrian dies in a traffic accident.
· Over 85% of these accidents occur in urban areas. About two-thirds of the fatalities occur in urban areas.
· The pedestrian per capita death rate is 1.6 per 100,000 people.
· In 2002, over 40% of the pedestrian fatalities involved roads without crosswalks. This particular statistic highlights the importance of warning motorists about the presence of pedestrians, so that they can work to avoid them.
· In 2003, nearly three out of every four pedestrian accidents occurred at non-intersections. This statistic should convey how dangerous jaywalking is. Motorists know to look out for pedestrians on crosswalks and at intersections. When pedestrians cross in the middle of the street, they put themselves in danger.
· Nearly 70% of pedestrian fatalities are male. That translates to a male fatality rate of 2.27 per 100,000 – twice the female rate of 1.01 per 100,000.
· Nearly half of all accidents occur between the hours of 6 pm and midnight, when walkers are less visible to motorists.
When an auto accident happens to you, it can be a life-changing event. It is important to seek the representation of a qualified, competent attorney to protect your rights, and help to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. At the Law Office of Kevin Jensen, we will do just that!
Article Source: //EzineArticles.com/4153947
The Law Offices of Kevin Jensen is located in Mesa, Arizona, and handles cases throughout Maricopa County, including Gilbert, Chandler, Phoenix, Queen Creek, Tempe, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Cave Creek, Fountain Hills, Ahwatukee, Apache Junction, Anthem, Glendale, El Mirage, Tolleson, Goodyear, Avondale, Litchfield Park, Peoria, Surprise, Sun City and Buckeye.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to “Pedestrian Accident Stats”
To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled “Message”, hit “Post Message.”